Boys

Boys

Friday, September 6, 2013

It's the little things

Today we are finishing up our second week of homeschooling for preschool. We've tried a lot of new things, created some cute crafts and learned new songs. One thing I've learned in these two weeks is that homeschooling two toddlers who are developmentally delayed is hard.  They don't know what to make of the songs unless there are motions to them, and they can't sit for an entire story.  And finger-painting?  None of us realized how icky it would be to get our hands full of paint.  

Did I mention that Isaac pulls himself up by my ponytail when I'm sitting on the floor?

Our schedule is Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays, to fit in with their therapy schedules.  The first week was particularly challenging.  Although I'm using a curriculum, I still need to add fun/educational activities that they can understand, and I didn't want to use their every-day toys.  I was so wiped out and feeling un-creative that we didn't start our second week until Wednesday.  I'm finding it better to do different activities throughout the day according to their moods, so we're not dancing when they feel like resting or listening to a story when they need to move.  They still didn't pay attention to the stories this week, and still walked away in the middle of an activity at times, but you know what?  They learned to say, "read" and sit next to each other on the floor, "color" and run to their high chairs.  I've had to roll it up (patty cake) about a thousand times, but they love it!  Gavin walks up to me signing, "book" to sing "The B-I-B-L-E" all on his own.  They aren't singing and dancing, but they enjoy when I help them do the motions!  

I've subscribed to quite a few homeschooling blogs, which have been very uplifting the past few days.  Today I received my copy of "Daily Focus" by Janet Tatman, a homeschool mom's devotional, and it is awesome, I had a hard time not reading the entire next week!  I will end with today's prayer, which helped me tremendously!
"Lord, forgive my attitude and help me refocus on the call You gave to homeschool.  Teach me again that Your will and Your way is better than any life I can conceive.  I love You and thank You for my family.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it and leave it!